WiccanFortune
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FatCatlicious Movie Reviews :)

5 posters

Go down

FatCatlicious Movie Reviews :) Empty FatCatlicious Movie Reviews :)

Post by fatcatliciousness Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Sorry I feel like it ^_^
fatcatliciousness
fatcatliciousness

Back to top Go down

FatCatlicious Movie Reviews :) Empty Re: FatCatlicious Movie Reviews :)

Post by fatcatliciousness Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Knowing – Directed by Alex Proyas (spoilers)

Tagline: What Happens When The Numbers Run Out?

Just yesterday, I had just got home from a really tiring day and decided to watch a movie, not wanting to rewatch any old favourites; I went to YouTube to suggest a movie for me. After searching for a while, I discovered the movie Knowing.

Knowing aka Know1ing (the USA promotional title) directed by Alex Proyas, who also directed other features such as I, Robot (2004) and Dark City (1998) was released in 2009 and has been getting mixed reviews ever since. In fact I was googling reviews for Knowing and its rating ranges from 1/10 – 9/10, but then again, this happens the majority of other films too, usually it all comes down to taste and experience.

Summary: In the fall of 1959, to celebrate the opening of the school, they have decided to bury a time capsule, students draw pictures of life as they imagine it will be in 50 years. Lucinda, an odd child who hears voices, swiftly writes a long string of numbers. In 2009, the capsule is opened; student Caleb Koestler gets Lucinda's "drawing" and his father John, an astrophysicist and grieving widower, takes a look. He discovers dates of disasters over the past 50 years with the number who died. Three dates remain, all coming soon. He investigates, learns of Lucinda, and looks for her family. He fears for his son, who's started to hear voices and who is visited by a silent stranger who shows him a vision of fire and destruction.

Personally, I loved it, but then again, I’m all for apocalyptic movies…well actually Knowing was more about the numbers, and in turn lead to the end of the world, rather than being about the end of the world altogether. Although the movie evokes a few miniature queries, Alex Proyas seems to answer the majority of the important ones, connecting bits and pieces from the beginning to the movie in the lead up to the end. It’s nicely framed off.
What ruined it a little for me was the introduction of the extraterrestrials. Unfortunately Alex Proyas is quite the fan of dark post-modern/futuristic worlds and science fiction, what I found a little random was when the Professor Jonathan 'John' Koestler (played by Nicholas Cage) confronted an alien, the alien, instead of disappearing or maybe doing what you would expect an alien to do, it opens its mouth and a bright light beam comes from it…I was definitely not expecting that.

There were a few intense scenes in the movie, like when John finds out that all these numbers “are the dates of every major global disaster for the last 50 years in perfect sequence,” or the scene at the petrol station when both Diana Wayland (Rose Byrne) and John (Nicholas Cage) are yelling at each other through the phone, and then the camera focuses on the rock (which I have no idea what its supposed to represent, probably death though) placed tactfully on top of the telephone box. There’s only one word to describe Rose Byrne’s acting from then on…epic.

The ending was a little bit of a let down. You see John on his knees sulking after the loss of his son, and you expect that the credits will soon roll over his face, but instead, he drives off, and then we hear Beethoven’s Symphony 7 Allegro Movement 2…and you get of a feeling of depressingly happy hopelessness, which totally makes sense, and then there’s a massive fiery explosion and everyone’s dead. The end.

I don’t think I’ve given too much away, but otherwise I would really suggest you to go see this movie…on YouTube (link below). The starts very strong and intense and the middle has a little added action and special effects, it’s just that the ends a little sappy (don’t believe me? Watch the last scene -.-) and sort of ruins it.

8.5/10 ^_^

I have way too much free time :3
fatcatliciousness
fatcatliciousness

Back to top Go down

Post by hallowheart Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:29 am

I've Watched that movie... it was good till the end
hallowheart
hallowheart
High Priestess
High Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by DrZucchini Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:53 am

Dude, you LOVE the movie. Admit it.
DrZucchini
DrZucchini
High Priestess
High Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by fatcatliciousness Mon May 03, 2010 5:19 am

Of course Smile I was like soooo into the movie, and then i watched the last 10 minutes..then i was like ==;
fatcatliciousness
fatcatliciousness

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Silvernight Mon May 10, 2010 5:38 pm

I havn't seen this movie yet! Very Happy
Was it really that good?
Luna Silvernight
Luna Silvernight
High Priestess
High Priestess

https://wiccanfortune.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Silvernight Mon May 10, 2010 5:39 pm

I loved how to train your dragon!!!
Luna Silvernight
Luna Silvernight
High Priestess
High Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by DrZucchini Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 pm

How to train your dragon was awesome. Toothless is <3

And also:
Whatever happened to no double posting?
DrZucchini
DrZucchini
High Priestess
High Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Silvernight Mon May 10, 2010 6:04 pm

well liz did it at the start of this thread.
Luna Silvernight
Luna Silvernight
High Priestess
High Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by DrZucchini Mon May 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Like I said, what happened to no double posting?
Back on topic, I've never seen the Knowing, but I'm not a person up for anything supernatural or anything close.

Last edited by DrZucchini on Mon May 10, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Quoting sucks)
DrZucchini
DrZucchini
High Priestess
High Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariedeus Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Knowing was cool, but just..the apocalpse thing has been done, the ending was just, badly executed in general.
Ariedeus
Ariedeus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down